BREAKFAST SERIES EVENT
The Lawyer’s Role in Your Food Business.
Product Liability - Risk Management – Employment Law
The Top Ten Legal Mistakes Food Businesses Make!
BC Hydro Building – 6911 Southpoint Drive, Burnaby
Sponsored by Fasken Martineau
7:30am-8:15am Registration, Breakfast and Network
8:15am Welcome and Association News James Donaldson, CEO
Introduction of New Members: (Stand for a brief self-introduction)
New Processor Members present New Associate Members present
8:30AM: Ally Bharmal – Business Law – Top Mistakes made by Food Companies from a Business Perspective
- Failing to incorporate early enough
- Issuing shares to founders without a vesting schedule
- Not considering a shareholders’ agreement
- Disclosing confidential information without an NDA
- Leaving employment agreements until the first financing
- Raising funds without complying with securities laws
- Failing to protect your IP, particularly your brand name
- Entering into commercial arrangements without a proper contract (co-packer case study as example)
- Not considering government funding and tax credits
9:15AM: Stephanie Gutierrez – Employment Law – Legal Issues in Managing Your Employees
- Do’s and don’ts of hiring and firing
- Performance management and discipline
- Employment Agreements and key terms
- Non-competition/non-solicitation clauses
- Human rights accommodation issues
9:50AM: Michael Parrish – Product Liability and Enterprise Risk Management– Managing Risk in Your Business
- Identifying different types of risk
- Business risk: the risks inherent in the business of food manufacture
- Regulatory risk: what regulators have oversight?
- Advertising risk: what can you say about your products?
- Consumer risk: managing consumer complaints
- Contract risk: managing supply chain contracts and disputes
- Litigation risk: avoiding and defending product liability claims
- Mitigating risk through good commercial and manufacturing practices
- Mitigating risk through insurance: what types of insurance coverage should a food company have?