Cannabis 201: Cannabis Edibles and Beverage Manufacturing: Food Safety, and Quality Control
When: Thursday, May 31st 2018 from 1pm-4pm
Location: MNP Office Towers at 1021 West Hastings Street, Vancouver, 21st Floor
Sponsored by: MNP
As a follow up to Cannabis 101, Join us for the second of three Cannabis Forums, this time focussing on the edibles and beverage market from the food safety, quality control and regulatory side of the business.
In partnership with the BCFPA, this event features speakers from SGS Canada Inc, a leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company, and Zenabis , a registered Licenced Producer of cannabis with strengths in the start-up sector, pharmaceutical industry, distribution, and horticulture.
1:00 PM Welcome and Introductions, James Donaldson, CEO and Executive Director, BC Food Processors Association
1:10 PM Andrew Samann, SGS Canada Inc.
- Industry needs - fast track cannabis product safety & quality system
- Management direction & commitment – financial & time
- Auditing, Certification & Training requirements in the global and local markets
- Testing Requirement
- Compliance and Regulatory
- Focus on risks & optimize resources – gap assessment
- Use available “toolkits” to develop consistent, effective procedures & adult learning format training
- Training internal auditors to mine usable information on changes, system status & response
2:10PM Karen Parent, Chief Quality & Compliance Officer, Zenabis
- Regulatory Landscape for LP’s (Licenced Producers)
- What kinds of measures do LPs face in order to be considered Pharma-grade
- GMP certification process (who needs it)
- Compliance, and regulatory issues that LPs or anyone handling cannabis would face.
- As a processor what is the process to work with an LP?
3:10PM Steve Burton, Icicle Technologies
- Safety and Certifications - What it will take to be competitive in the global market?
- U.S Cannabis Industry trends as a roadmap
- Edibles transitioning from medicinal to food products
Application of existing food product regulations to the Cannabis Industry
- Food safety hazards around cannabis edibles
Pushing into mainstream market, Earning consumer trust
- GFSI standards
3:20 PM Questions and Next Steps
Next Forum - Cannabis Webinar – Risk Mitigation and HR Policies for Cannabis in the workplace by Reliance Insurance: June 12.
Cannabis 301 - Understanding how you need to be insured to handle cannabis products. TBD September 6, 2018. REGISTER AT: www.bcfpa.ca/events
3:30 to 4:00pm Networking