Operations Peer Group Meeting
This meeting is limited in capacity - Processors or those Associates wanting to embark on a LEAN journey only please.
Lean: 5S – Improve Efficiency, Eliminate Waste
5S Simulation Game/Tour of Ideon Packaging
Friday, May 19, 2017 10:00am – 11:30AM
Location: Ideon Packaging 1121 Dyke Road, Richmond
10:00-10:05AM Welcome: Operations Co-Chairs Mike Nunn, Jess Berlenbach
10:05AM Presentation: 5S – Mike Nunn
Simulation: 5S Game or real 5S at Ideon Packaging (Tour)
What Is the 5S System? The 5S system is a lean manufacturing tool that improves workplace efficiency and eliminates waste. Managers and workers achieve greater organization, standardization, and efficiency—all while reducing costs and boosting productivity. The core principles of 5S involve creating and maintaining:
- Visual order
With these goals in place, the workplace becomes organized, work is done efficiently and safely, and problems are quickly found and eliminated.
What Are the Five Ss?
5S stands for the Japanese words seiri (tidiness), seiton (orderliness), seiso (cleanliness), seiketsu (standardization), and shitsuke (discipline). These translations have been changed from Japanese to English as follows to maintain the 5Ss: sort, set, shine, standardize, sustain.
11:00AM –Questions of any hot button issues affecting your production. We’ll get the answers!
New Business: Operations Peer Mentoring - Discussion
- Changing the Ops meeting format, or add another peer mentoring group. Currently, the meetings rely on great speakers/presentations; but changing to peer mentoring would change the focus of the meeting.
- Members host, provide light breakfast and lunch, 4 hour meetings.
- Agenda: intro from host, update since last meeting, hot topics, round table, adjourn.
- Food processing focused groups/discussions.
- 3rd party facilitator
- Cap the meeting groups at 12 members; those members stay together, no rotation.
- All members sign non-compete and/or NDA
- Additional charge to attend a group. (CME charges $2700)
- As interest increases, add more groups.