SOLD OUT! Cannabis 401: Working with a Licensed Producer
Thursday, September 6th, 2018 from 1:00pm-4:00pm
MNP Downtown Offices, 1021 West Hastings Street, Vancouver
Sponsored by MNP LLP
Before you start your cannabis food and beverage company, you must partner with a licensed producer. Join us on Sept 6th for Cannabis 401: Working with an LP, moderated by Peter Guo of MNP (from Cannabis 301), where we will outline your ideal working relationship with an LP, how to legitimize your cannabis business, requirements for R&D, and more!
1:00PM Welcome and Introductions: James Donaldson, CEO, BCFPA
1:10 – 1:15PM Moderator : Peter Guo, BC Cannabis Industry Services Leader, MNP LLP
1:15-2:00PM Business Model Segment:
- Aleem Bandali – Senior VP, MNP Corporate Finance, BC Leader
- Melanie Bradley, Partner, Securities & Capital Markets Group, BLG
- David Wood, Senior Associate, Cannabis Industry Focus Group, BLG
- Structuring your company
- M & A, and strategic partnerships
- Entering a joint venture with an LP
2:00PM – 2:55pm Operational Segment:
- James Poelzer, Director & CBDO, Ascent Industries Corp
- Paulo Pero, CEO, and Matt Amado, President and COO of Sunbaked Cannabis
- Brandon Wright, CEO and Co-Founder of Baked Edibles
- Rosy Mondin, CEO of Quadron Cannatech Corporation
- Realities of Edible today – what does production look like for an LP, what does it look like in the grey market, what might it look like for a food processor
- Extraction and production – operational realities
- Getting product to market today and in the future
- Branding and marketing opportunities and challenges
2:55 – 3:05pm - BREAK
3:05PM – 4:00pm Roundtable Discussion
Topics to discuss:
- What makes a good partner for a LP?
- What are the rules around creating a cannabis food/beverage manufacturing facility?
- M & A perspective – what are some of the deals, structures and pricing considerations?
- How do you come from the black/grey market to the white market?
- What you see coming up for roadblocks?
- How to guide processors to start developing their products?
- What branding and marketing options are there?
- What are your predictions for this year, 2019 and beyond?
About the Speakers
James Poelzer - Chief Business Development Officer
Spearheading business development for Ascent, James plays a key role in identifying and investing in hard assets and strategic opportunities for Ascent, looking to capitalize on the progressing acceptance of cannabis worldwide. James has been essential in targeting emerging markets, securing campuses and executing cannabis license applications in multiple jurisdictions. Having successfully secured licenses in Canada, Oregon, and Nevada, James always stays ahead of the curve, pursuing the next opportunity for Ascent.
James has a Bachelor of Business Administration, Joint Major with Psychology, from Simon Fraser University.
Melanie Bradley, Partner at Borden Ladner Gervais (BLG)
Melanie Bradley is a partner in our Securities and Capital Markets Group in our Vancouver office. She advises public and private companies on a variety of matters including, financings, mergers, acquisitions, takeover bids and reorganizations; mining joint ventures; derivatives documentation (including ISDAs and repurchase agreements); and regulatory compliance. Melanie also advises issuers with respect to public offerings and private placements, particularly issuers whose securities are listed in more than one country. Melanie focuses her practice on four sectors: mining, transportation, technology and media and entertainment.
David Wood, Senior Associate at Borden Ladner Gervais (BLG)
David Wood is a lawyer and patent agent in our Calgary office. David practices intellectual property and regulatory law. David is co-chair of the Borden Ladner Gervais Cannabis Industry Focus Group and his regulatory practice is specific to the Canadian cannabis industry.
David's intellectual property practice and experience includes:
- drafting and prosecuting patent applications;
- assessing patentability of technology, validity of patents, and infringement of patents, and other patent-related due diligence;
- multi-jurisdictional patent portfolio management; and
- patent litigation.
Rosy Mondin, President and CEO of Quadron Cannatech Corporation; Executive Director of Cannabis Trade Alliance of Canada
A leading advocate for the legalization of recreational cannabis in Canada, Rosy Mondin has over 18 years of legal and entrepreneurial experience launching and managing startups and public companies. She co-founded Soma Labs Scientific in 2014, which amalgamated to form Quadron Cannatech Corporation in 2016, a company that focuses on extraction and processing solutions, and of which she is now a Director and CEO. She is the first woman to hold the role as CEO in a publicly traded cannabis company.
Rosy is also the co-Founder and Executive Director of the Cannabis Trade Alliance of Canada (CTAC) and Special Advisor to the Canadian Association of Medical Cannabis Dispensaries (CAMCD)