Director of Operations, Health and Happiness
“It’s a beautiful thing when a career and a passion come together!” – Unknown
“Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.” – Steve Jobs
- Love to get shit done! (Kick ass and take names)
- Get deep satisfaction from working in a fast-paced and results-oriented environment
- Come from a place of saying “yes” (it’s your default approach)
- Thrive on leading your team to succeed
- Flourish on being busy and managing many tasks/details effectively
- Celebrate and learn from your failures
- Are passionate about health and wellness and living a healthy, active lifestyle
- Enjoy challenging yourself and pushing your limits
- Are hungry to learn and grow
- Love dogs and cats
- Don’t take life and yourself too seriously (love to laugh)
If you’re yelling at your screen, “That’s ME!” — keep reading...
Who we are:
At Red Dog Blue Kat, we are on a mission to help pets live longer and healthier lives. We are a small group of like-minded individuals with huge dreams! We have a big, audacious goal of setting new standards of honesty and transparency for the pet food industry.
We share a passion for our families, our pets and our values. This has created the foundation for our company values of Balance, Care and Integrity. These values guide our intentions and influence every action, both in our personal and professional lives. They are a part of who we are today and who we aspire to be as we grow and evolve.
We work hard every day to establish a positive company culture in an inclusive team environment. Our business isn’t just about selling food – it’s also about practicing what we teach, including eating healthier, balancing work and life, and empowering each person to grow and thrive in their role within our team!
Your Role in the Team
We are looking for an experienced, full-time leader, operations specialist, problem solver, solution seeker, part geek and part math whiz who is organized to the max, to lead our manufacturing team.
The goal is for you to manage and lead the daily operations of our manufacturing facility to ensure that we delivery a top-quality product our customers have grown to expect from us. However, this role is also a unique opportunity to help transform and re-build our teams, systems, and processes that will take our company from good to great. This role will include developing new company infrastructures to support growth, new product lines, and helping in develop the strategic directions for the company. As the operations manager for our state-of-the-art facility your role will be wide and varied and require a strong set of integrated business, administrative and communication skills.
Your duties and responsibilities will include (but are not limited to):
- Live and practice Red Dog Blue Kat vision and values (Care, Balance and Integrity)
- Work closely with the CEO and management team (Sales, Finance and HR) to set and meet company goals and fulfill company mission (to help pets live longer and healthier lives)
- Leading manufacturing operations of a high potential frozen food manufacturing facility.
- Overseeing day-to-day plant operations including production control, quality control, and maintenance (focus on doing the right thing and working as a team)
- Managing raw and finished inventory.
- Production scheduling to ensure sufficient inventory levels to fulfill customer orders
- Raw material procurement and supply chain development.
- Defining and implementing comprehensive strategies for all aspects of scheduling to reduce costs, mitigate risk, shorten lead times and reduce inventories
- Ensuring that scheduling processes within supply chain is functioning properly and in a timely manner to ensure minimal delays in fulfilling customer orders
- Continuously developing team members through active engagement, problem solving, special assignment, and continuous improvement activities
- Setting key performance indicators designed to measure and optimize performance and encourage employee engagement in continuous improvement activities
- Developing improved inventory management systems and strategies.
- Develop and manage cost savings programs
- Hire, train, evaluate, manage and mentor operations and maintenance team
- Develop budgets and recommend expenditures for capital, equipment and facility improvements
- Develop and implement tracking of results on a daily, weekly, monthly basis, analyzing results to detect problems and implement solutions
- Positive “can do” attitude
- Mindset for process development and continuous improvement
- Exceptional written & oral communication skills
- Fluency in English (French would be an asset, but is not a requirement)
- Extreme attention to detail
- Technologically savvy
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Proficiency with QuickBooks Software (preferred, but willing to train if necessary)
- Analytical skills
- Time management skills
- First Aid would be an asset, but is not a requirement
- Experience with lean manufacturing an asset.
- A love of science and an interest in animal nutrition
- Management experience (minimum of 1 year)
- Experience in manufacturing (minimum 1 year)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business or a related field and 3-5 years’ experience with increasing and diverse levels of responsibility, OR an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ideal candidate has experience in a large company setting and experience in a smaller and more entrepreneurial setting
- Strong preference for Food Industry experience
- Robust production experience and maintenance management are key for this role
- HACCP Experience is preferred
- Open office environment
- Electronic device oriented
- Long periods of sitting at a computer desk
- Fast-paced and time sensitive
This position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer
Please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com:
In your cover letter please answer the following:
- How does your skills/experience align with this position?
- Describe what motivates you
- Tell us about your top two passions!
Job Type: Full-timed