Under general direction, the Material Handler's primary role is to manipulate, move, load and unload materials by hand or through use of a variety of material handling equipment, including Forklift. Material Handlers provide assistance to the production floor, with a focus on moving product in an organized manner following FIFO (First in First Out) standards, ensuring that product including raw materials, work in progress (WIP) and finished goods, flow smoothly from location to location, on time and on schedule.
This position is responsible for ensuring items are tracked and stored accurately while following all health and safety and food quality standards. Specifically, the Material Handler works in a team and carries out duties including but not limited to loading and unloading trucks using material handling equipment; preparing orders in the warehouse; rotating stock; receiving and shipping goods; completing related records and documents; inspecting trailers prior to loading and unloading; transporting raw materials, finished product and/or packaging materials throughout the plant and warehouse manually and/or with powered equipment (fork lift, electric/manual pallet jack) in a safe and courteous manner.
Qualified candidates are those who possess a solid command of the English language and are capable of using moderately complex oral and written communication skills.
In addition they demonstrate the ability to:
- Follow directions and communicate both orally and in writing
- Perform physically repetitive tasks while standing, walking or sitting (8-10 hour shift)
- Lift up to 25 kgs. on a regular basis
- Exercise manual dexterity and hand eye coordination
- Showcase good problem-solving task planning and organization and space planning abilities
- Work in a variety of environments including wet, humid, cold, hot inside (40 C) or outside
- Work accurately with numbers and basic calculations
- Work well with others; possessing a strong customer service attitude
- Maintain a continuous improvement and learning orientation; adaptable and open to change
This position is required to operate and perform in a food manufacturing, production, and warehousing environment. Unique or special features of the job include:
- 80-90% of day is spent operating forklift or other material handling equipment
- Repetitive physical activity including lifting, push/pull, and carry is required
Valid Forklift Certification and at least 1 year hands-on experience is required.
Mechanical orientation, Food Safe Certification, knowledge of WHMIS and HACCP
Our production facility operates on a three shift schedule and all employees are expected to operate within a flexible scheduling/rotation environment. Centrally located in South Richmond, we are close to Transit, the Tunnel, and a short walk from the beautiful Fraser River.
Foley's is a growing company and proud to offer training, growth and development opportunities to our employees, along with competitive compensation including Group Benefits (health & dental) participation, and FREE parking!
And what could be sweeter - than a job surrounded by chocolate?!
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $18.00 /hour
Please submit your resume to [email protected]