Product Development (PD) Technician
Sandel Foods Inc is a leading supplier of fillings, icings, glazes, syrups and sauces, as well as the only Canadian company processing glacé products for the baking industry. To meet the unique demands of our customers, SFI also has the expertise and flexibility to provide custom formulated products to meet any of our customer's needs in Bakeries, Dairy and Food Service.
Our company has been a leader in food processing for over 30 years because we go the extra mile to ensure the quality of our products. We are certified in FSSC 22000, BC Kosher, and BC Organic. The New Product Development team works side-by-side with our Quality Assurance team in our on-site lab, providing a great continuous learning environment!
The Product Development Department has an urgent requirement for a full-time permanent PD Technician to provide support in day-to-day operations.
Reporting to the Product Development & Technical Manager, the primary role of the PD Technician is providing assistance with PD activities for the manufacture of food products within Sandel Foods Inc. The secondary role is to support the Quality Assurance Team with routine tasks and quality control testing. The PD Technician is a member of both the PD and QA teams and provides support to other roles within these departments as required. This position may require shiftwork, including weekends.
- Product Development – preparing PD samples on assigned projects.
- Quality Assurance/Quality Control.
- Safety & Environment.
- Continuous Improvement.
Competencies (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
- Sound knowledge of and adherence to Good Laboratory Practices, Standard Operating Procedures, and food systems.
- Knowledge of food development and application methods.
- Strong knowledge of food ingredients and kitchen systems.
- Ability to collaborate with others to achieve area and team goals.
- Time management skills, multi-tasking skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks within a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to deal with changes, delays or unexpected events in a calm and timely manner.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor of Food Science OR related field
- Minimum 1 year experience in food product development
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with fluency in English.
- Capacity to work in a multi-cultural team environment.
- Highly detail-oriented with good oral and written communication skills.
- Manual dexterity and ability to lift up to 15 kgs, frequent standing, and walking around a 75,000 square foot facility with stairs.
- Computer skills using MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
Applicants must currently be able to work in Canada (preference will be given to those with Canadian citizenship or Permanent Resident status).
We offer a competitive salary + benefits + RRSP co-matching in a clean, pleasant-smelling work environment.
If interested, please submit your resume with covering letter to Human Resources by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.