Position: Quality Assurance Coordinator
Location: 30530 Progressive Way, Abbotsford
Reports to: Quality Systems and Safety Manager
About APEX FOODSOURCE
Our team’s mission is to become the best producer of innovative and custom food products for North America’s leading retail and restaurant brands. We are not just a co-packer. We work together to asses our customers’ needs; develop and deliver unique, innovative, complete solutions, and create enduring relationships. You can find our products in grocery stores and on restaurant menus across Canada.
At Apex, we’re about more than just food. We’re about bringing delicious creations to life for our clients. Because when we enhance what our clients are offering consumers, we’re making the world better by producing better food experiences and dining memories. We manage by facts that are used to support intuition and continuous improvement – business geeks specializing in food – is our mantra.
Quality Assurance Coordinator Primary Responsibilities
Reporting to the Quality Systems and Safety Manager (QSSM), the Quality Assurance Coordinator is responsible for implementation, maintenance and assistance in development (when necessary) of the best in the class Food Safety and Quality Management System that meets and exceeds all legal and customer requirements.
FOOD QUALITY AND SAFETY SYSTEM / CERTIFICATION
The quality assurance coordinator works directly with QSSM in all aspects of maintaining regular compliance with legal/certification requirements. The legal requirements include all applicable acts and regulations in Canada and USA. The certification requirements include our GFSI benchmarked Food Quality and Safety System, Identity Preserved Food program applicable to us (e.g. Organic, Kosher and/or Vegan certificate).
The QA coordinator will also be responsible for developing and maintaining the programs identified in the Food Quality and Safety System, ensuring the procedure has been established and adhered to.
The QA coordinator develops and delivers the food safety and quality training to employees in regards of GMP, HACCP or any other applicable food safety or quality topics.
The QA coordinator will be required to conduct internal audit/verification practice on a regular basis on plant GMP, process control, paperwork etc. Hands on assistance with regular physical, chemical and microbiological testing of ingredients and finished products will be also required. Shift may be flexible from morning, evening and graveyard on an occasional basis for internal audit purposes.
The QA coordinator will assist in NCR process, participate in root cause analysis and follow up with corrective action and preventive action. Material hold and release procedure will be handled by the position if applicable.
The QA Coordinator is responsible for maintaining the document control system and amendment log. Regular data entry, record keeping, and filing are also required.
PROCESS / CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT
The QA Coordinator is required to work as a champion in identifying wastes in food quality and safety related process and initiating and executing improvement projects to improve the process flow. Participation in other continuous improvement projects if needed.
Other duties as may be assigned by the QSSM.
Requirements of the Role:
- BSc in food science (or other related fields) is required, MSc is preferred
- At least 3 years’ relevant work experience in quality assurance in food manufacturing
- GFSI recognized scheme experience and PCQI are considered as assets
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with minimal direct supervision
- Strong troubleshooting skills
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills
- Proficient in MS Office software (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint etc.)
- Lean Manufacturing Certification is an asset
Apex Company Values:
At Apex, we champion the values of our founders. We uphold these values to improve our workplace, enrich our community, and change our world for the better.
- Honesty - We are authentic and speak the truth, because honesty builds trust and trust builds relationships.
- Respect - We honor and appreciate each other and those we encounter, because respectful workplaces are productive, rewarding, and enjoyable for all.
- Excellence - We pursue excellence through the commitment to our work and our relationships, because we believe that everyone deserves the best version of ourselves.
- Stewardship - We safeguard our assets to maximize the positive impact they can have on the world, because we believe that all of God’s gifts are worth caring for and preserving.