Farmcrest Foods Ltd. is a family operated farm in Salmon Arm; operating a hatchery, feed mill and processing facility onsite. With a commitment to excellence, Farmcrest is Canada’s first verified non-GMO chicken producer, offering three product lines to British Columbians. Dedicated to ecological and social sustainability, Farmcrest applies a holistic approach to their operations and is constantly striving for new ways to strengthen relationships, the environment and the community.
Farmcrest has an opportunity for a Quality Assurance and Safety Manger (QASM) to join their team.
The Quality Assurance and Safety Manager provides day-to-day support to plant operations to ensure that health and safety, and quality assurance programs are properly implemented and working effectively. This position contributes to high standards of excellence by leading the Farmcrest team in the refinement, implementation and monitoring of a comprehensive quality assurance program. To QASM makes recommendations for improvements to continually enhance the quality of the product and the production process.
The QASM is responsible to:
- Develop (with support), implement and maintain appropriate quality assurance and regulatory requirements and reporting for: all processing plant operations and controls; feed and ingredients; hatchery; flock quality; and Welfare Program;
- Ensure that sanitation standards are consistently met throughout the production process, thru collection, sampling and monitoring;
- Maintain relevant samples and reporting for Certification programs (Non-GMO, Organic, Specialty);
- Maintain OFFSAP program and support quality management of contract grower program;
- Ensure that all employees receive and maintain appropriate safety, HACCP, WHMIS, OFFSAP, food handling and other required training;
- Support the management team in communicating and building trusting relationships with clients, team members, suppliers and regulators;
- Monitor and record waste water treatment, quality and regulatory requirements;
- Lead safety initiatives and ensures compliance of safety committee;
- Develop and main proactive injury prevention initiatives;
- Report all breeches of food safety, environmental and labour guidelines and provide solutions;
- Support business development team with new product initiatives.
The successful candidate has:
- 3-5 years relevant experience in quality control or health and safety. Food production/processing environment would be preferred;
- Completion of Grade 12 is required. Quality Assurance training and/or post-secondary diploma would be an asset;
- Previous training in quality systems (GMP, ISO, HACCP, OFFSAP) is preferred;
- Demonstrated experience guiding regulatory inspections, completing program reviews and facilitating group discussions or training;
- Valid driver’s license;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel, and technical competency for solving problems and learning new programs;
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, prioritize and handle large amounts of information in pressure situations;
- Strong organizational and time management skills;
- A demonstrated understanding of requirements and the need for discretion and confidentiality.
If this sounds like you, and you are a self-motivated and proactive thinker with a positive attitude, we want to hear from you! The Quality Assurance and Safety Manager is a new position that will be supported by a team of professionals, as new processes, controls and programs are put in place.
Farmcrest offers competitive wages based on the candidate’s experience.
This position is full-time, Monday – Friday.