Duties and Responsibilities:
The following list of duties and responsibilities of this position is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job described. Rather they are intended only to describe the general nature of the job.
- Assisting in the development, implementation and maintenance of HACCP Plans and related food safety policies and procedures appropriate for National Importers
- Auditing company compliance with all aspects of the HACCP Programs. This includes compliance with the Prerequisite Programs, Supplier Letters of Guarantee, QA Manual of Procedures and any other relevant programs which impact the integrity of the HACCP Program and food safety
- Assisting in the identification and resolution of HACCP non-compliance issues
- Conducting and/or assisting in HACCP, GMP/GIP and sanitation training for plant employees
- Conducting and/or assisting in HACCP training for new employees
- Participating in HACCP meetings, producing and distributing the minutes of these meetings and following up on corrective actions when required
- Assisting in mock recalls as well as playing a lead role in corporate recalls for the Canadian and the US operations
- Assisting in CFIA and customer HACCP and/or food safety & GMP/GIP audits, and then either leading or participating in teams to implement corrective actions when deviations are found
- Staying current on Canadian food safety regulations and other related compliance programs by attending and participating in CFIA and third-party information meetings and training programs at NI expense
- Conducting audits on suppliers and storage facilities as needed
- Assisting in customer/consumer complaint investigations
- Managing the product labelling program
- Providing brand product support including core labelling elements, permitted ingredients, additives, preservatives, licenses and product inquiries for such items as fish and processed products
- Maintain the necessary technical skills and knowledge through reading, networking and training
- Staying abreast of industry and market trends from a food safety perspective
- Bachelor degree or diploma in food science or related field from a recognized Canadian institution
- Recognized qualifications and demonstrated experience in one or more of the following programs: HACCP, GFSI, GMP and/or GIP programs
- Experience in the regulatory and food safety aspects of consumer packaged goods and/or the food service industries would be an asset
- Experience with one or more GFSI programs will be an asset
- Two years of experience with demonstrated competence in implementing and overseeing quality assurance and food safety programs
- Experience working with CFIA, third party and blue-chip customer auditors
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and Word
- Flexible with working hours
- Works` under minimal supervision
- Works well in team environments
- Strong organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented
1. Impact & Accountabilities:
Corporate culture characteristics of:
- Respect, teamwork and innovation.
- Requires knowledge of many confidential matters to work in strict confidence.
Working towards success of the organization in relation to:
- The regulatory licenses, the quality of the products and the services offered can be adversely impacted by the improper development and
- Maintenance of HACCP programs and operations manuals.
2. Physical Effort: Computer work.
3. Travel: Some travel will be required