Quality Assurance/Quality Control Technician
Sandel Foods Inc is a leading supplier of fillings, icings, glazes, syrups and sauces, as well as the only Canadian company processing glacé products for the baking industry. To meet the unique demands of our customers, SFI also has the expertise and flexibility to provide custom formulated products to meet any of our customer's needs in Bakeries, Dairy and Food Service.
Our company has been a leader in food processing for over 30 years because we go the extra mile to ensure the quality of our products. We are certified in FSSC 22000, BC Kosher, and BC Organic. The Quality Assurance team works side-by-side with our New Product Development team in our on-site lab, providing a great continuous learning environment!
The Quality Department has an urgent requirement for a full-time permanent QA/QC Technician to provide support in day-to-day operations.
The primary responsibility of the position is to support the testing functions including the preparations required logging, retrieving and following-up on sample process flow, cleaning lab equipment and supplies, receiving / dispatching outside testing, data entry and verification, and miscellaneous tasks to assist the Quality and Production Teams.
KEY RESULT AREAS
- Support Quality Team with multiple tasks related, but not limited, to quality control testing.
- Receive, assess, produce and log in samples and composites related to food products.
- Prepares, produces and completes paperwork on all samples.
- Performs bacterial detection and basic microbiology and analytical tests.
- Receives orders, dispatches outside testing.
- Performs and documents internal calibrations and verifications.
- Perform general laboratory Standard Operating Procedures including sterilization.
- Prepares and retrieves frozen samples and interaction with shelf life area.
- Prepares media and reagents required for tests.
- Records and enters data related to the Laboratory Verification Program, temperatures, weights, humidity, etc.
- Maintains adequate stock of supplies and prepares weekly supply orders.
- Performs cleaning of equipment and supplies.
- Performs general cleaning of the laboratory areas (Good Laboratory Practices).
- Data entry and assist in document control.
- Observes laboratory hygiene and safety regulations and precautions.
- Performs other department related tasks and duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science OR High School diploma and experience working in a food manufacturing plant, preferably within a regulated environment. A certificate in laboratory procedures or experience working in a food Quality Control Laboratory will be an advantage.
- University Degree in Microbiology, Food Science or similar field of study is an asset.
- Minimum of 6 months’ experience in a food manufacturing plant.
- Computer skills required.
- Attention to detail, ability to follow instructions precisely, and accurate data entering skills are critical.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing (including legible hand-writing) in English is required.
- Ability to work with others effectively in a team environment but also able to work independently.
- Manual dexterity; physically able to lift at least 25 lbs (11 kgs).
- Trustworthy, Transparent, and Results-Oriented.
- Willing to work variable shifts, days (to start as early as 4:30am) and evenings (until 10:30 pm), based on operational requirements.
Applicants must currently be able to work in Canada (preference will be given to those with Canadian citizenship or Permanent Resident status).
We offer a competitive salary + benefits + RRSP co-matching in a clean, pleasant-smelling work environment.
Please send a cover letter and resume to HR@sandelfoods.com.