Golden Boy Foods is currently looking for an R&D Manager to work on a full-time basis in our R&D team in the Burnaby BC location. This position is a contract role for approximately one year with the possibility of extension.
Golden Boy Foods is a $450+ million company with 6 manufacturing locations totaling approximately 900 employees and shipping products to 25 of the 30 largest retailers in North America. The company is structured as 2 business units; Golden Boy Foods Nut Butter and Golden Boy Foods Fruit & Nut. The Nut Butter Business Unit (NB BU) operates 5 manufacturing facilities in the U.S. and Canada. The Fruit & Nut Business Unit (FN BU) has its manufacturing facility located, in Burnaby, British Columbia Canada. Golden Boy Foods Ltd is owned by Post Holdings Inc. (POST: NYSE).
Golden Boy Foods’ Fruit & Nut Business Unit is focused on healthier food categories and is a leading manufacturer and distributor of hundreds of private label and branded food products. Our extensive product offering includes conventional and organic baking nuts, snacking nuts, trail mixes, raisins, dried fruits and other products (beans, rice & flour). The company has a strong presence in Canada and the Unites States and our products are found on the shelves of many of North America’s most respected grocery retailers, are distributed by top food service organizations, and utilized by major industrial manufacturers.
The R&D Manager is responsible for developing and executing new product development, and works with the commercialization team to bring these products to market. This includes leading and directing the R&D Team by distributing workload and ensuring motivation and performance levels are maintained. The R&D Manager will have responsibility for managing the R&D team, assigning individual responsibilities and enforcing accountability, developing and maintaining specific timelines and schedules to ensure timely completion of project. The R&D Manager will work collaboratively with cross-functional teams within the Business Unit to deliver new products to our customers in the timeframe expected. The R&D team works with the operations department to ensure consistency in product quality. This role is also a key gatekeeper for packaging reviews, ensuring accuracy and legality for product packaging manufactured in this facility.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and develop the department’s resources with the goal of meeting or exceeding all deadlines and expectations.
- Develop new innovative products.
- Manage the new concept development and production scale up process.
- Accurately maintain R&D project records, proactively providing status reports as required.
- Collaborate with Operations to achieve project objectives.
- Conduct research in areas including food regulation and process validations.
- Liaise with regulatory bodies to be current with food regulations for North America.
- Approve Labels to ensure compliance with regulations.
- Participate in the Packaging Validation process.
- Liaise with suppliers for new products and ingredients.
- Source new ingredients to aid in the innovation process.
- Participate in the RFP process.
- Review and sign-off specifications
- Manage sensory evaluations for commercialized products.
- Identifies and advances quality and process improvement opportunities.
- Keep current with changes in technologies and regulation for the countries where we do business.
- Lead and mentor direct reports while providing developmental opportunities when available.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Education And Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Chemistry, or a related field
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in the food industry
- 2+ years of experience leading teams
- Experience working successfully with customers and suppliers
Preferred Experience And Skills:
- Experience managing Branded or Private Brand R & D or Commercialization process.
- Strong time management, planning and analytical skills
- Strong computer usage skills, including proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Proficiency in Microsoft Project and SharePoint preferred.
- Professional written and verbal communication skills, with excellent client facing skills (external) and the ability to communicate at all levels within the organization (internal).
- Demonstrated conflict resolution skills.
- Ability to learn our business, be a team player and enjoy working in a team-oriented environment.
- Strong problem solving/decision-making skills, interpersonal skills, and analytical capabilities.
- Good general understanding of business and financial principles.
- Demonstrated work ethic, integrity, and professional conduct.
- Understands the need for confidentiality in sensitive employee situations and in other business instances, when required.
- Adaptable, flexible, detail-oriented, creative, innovative thinker
- Process focused
- Team oriented
- An organized problem solver, able to prioritize effectively in a fast-paced environment
Please apply directly to our Careers portal via www.goldenboyfoods.com, with your resumé and cover letter.
We are grateful for all interested applicants, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.